SWITZERLAND, JANUARY 18 – The United States government has called on Nigeria to hold kidnappers of over 300 boys from a Katsina high school accountable after the boys were released on Thursday.
The U.S. Department of State condemned the abduction in a statement issued by a spokesperson, Cale Brown, and urged the government to hold those responsible accountable ” to the full extent of the law”.
“We offer our sincere sympathies to the families of the missing students and the security guard killed in the attack.
“School should be a safe place where children can learn and thrive,” it said.
Students of Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina State, kidnapped last Friday were freed on Thursday, according to the state government.
The Special Adviser to the Katsina Governor on Security, Ibrahim Kastina, confirmed the release of the students to the media on Thursday evening.
He said the students were freed on Thursday at Tsafe (82.5km via road) from Kankara town in Katsina State where they were abducted.
Earlier on Wednesday, Governor Bello Masari of Katsina said the abducted students were taken to a forest in Zamfara State.
He, however, refuted the allegation that the students were kidnapped by Boko Haram.
In a statement by Garba Shehu, his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, the President had also directed the reinforcement of security at all schools in line with the safe schools policy of the administration.