Last weekend, The United States, in conjunction with its Western allies; France and the UK, launched missiles into Syria in response to the Syrian government’s apparent use of Chemical weapons on civilians. A Washington Post article says the move did not yield any significant positive results.
In 2013, after Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad crossed President Barack Obama’s red line and used chemical weapons on innocent civilians, a U.S. official told the Los Angeles Times that Obama’s retaliatory strike would likely be “just muscular enough not to get mocked” but not so devastating that it would elicit a response from Iran and Russia. In the end, Obama backed away from even such a small, feckless strike.
On Friday, Trump carried one out.
Trump deserves credit for acting (now twice) when Obama wouldn’t. He also deserves credit for getting U.S. allies to join us when Obama couldn’t. But let’s be clear: Friday night’s strikes were “just muscular enough not to get mocked.” As a result, they did more damage to the United States’ credibility on the world stage than they did to the Assad regime.
Dede is an accomplished literary critic and public commentator with a penchant for telling compelling stories. An avid Man City fan, he lives in Lagos.
December 13, 2017
February 16, 2021
July 27, 2018
- Breaking: WHO Considers Madagascar’s Herbal Drink as Possible Treatment for COVID-19 225.9k views
- Tonto Dikeh goes nude, shares scenes from plastic surgery in reality show (video) 17.7k views
- Footballer Dele Alli caught on video receiving oral sex from prostitute 9.7k views
- Azealia Banks goes topless, shows off her new giant breast implants +18 6.8k views
- BBNaija 2018: Teddy A and BamBam caught having sex in the toilet (18+ video) 6.2k views
- Colorado: The Dangerous, Convulsion-Inducing Drug Destroying Nigerian Youths(Disturbing Videos) 5.5k views
- Exclusive: Jowi Zaza, the mysterious millionaire who is younger and richer than Hushpuppi 5k views
- Breaking: Lagos Records First Confirmed Coronavirus Case 4.5k views
- Despite having N30 billion, Davido reveals he needs more 3.9k views
- Trump Accused of Killing Personal Assistant, Carolyn Gombell in 2000 3.8k views
Subscribe to our newsletter
Today’s Echo is a versatile online newspaper based in Switzerland and committed to reporting the Nigerian experience across the world.
Feel free to send us your stories and requests. We can be reached through email@example.com
- September 28, 2022
- September 8, 2022