Former Attorney-General of the Federation, Muhammed Adoke has reacted to the order for his arrest by an Abuja High Court on Wednesday, for his role in the infamous Malabu scandal.
Adoke said he will fight the order in court because he had already been cleared of any wrong doing by a “competent court of law”.
“The honorable judge was misled by the EFCC to grant the warrant. Justice Binta Nyako ruled in April 2018 that I was only carrying out a presidential order in the OPL 245/Malabu transaction and that I had no case to answer. That naturally ends the EFCC case against me but the agency has chosen this path and I will use all legal means to exonerate myself,” he said in an email to journalists on Wednesday
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), in a statement on Wednesday, said D. Z. Senchi, the presiding judge of the FCT high court, also granted its prayers for a warrant of arrest against Dan Etete, a former minister of petroleum.
Also to be declared wanted are Raph Wetzels, Casula Roberto, Pujato Stefeno, and Burrato Sebastiano.
They were all to be arraigned before Senchi on Wednesday over the Malabu case but did not show up in court.
In 2017, the EFCC filed charges against Shell Nigeria Exploration Production Co. Ltd, Nigeria Agip Exploration Limited, Eni Spa, Raph Wetzels, Casula Roberto, Pujato Stefeno, Burrato Sebastiano, Duazia Louya Etete (aka Dan Etete), Adoke, Aliyu Abubakar and Malabu Oil & Gas Limited.
On Wednesday, EFCC’s counsel, Aliyu Yusuf, brought a motion ex parte praying the court for a warrant of their arrest, and an order for leave to execute the warrant outside of the jurisdiction of the court.
Senchi granted the prayers of the EFCC, and ruled that the Nigeria Police, the INTERPOL and any other law enforcement agency should arrest them anywhere they are found.
He adjourned the matter till July 11, 2019 for further hearing.