SWITZERLAND, SEPTEMBER 13 – Nigerians have taken to the social media to demand for justice over the killing of two students of the Federal University, Oye, Ekiti State.
Today’s Echo gathers that two students of the university died and several were injured after policemen allegedly on the convoy of the Ekiti State First lady, Bisi Fayemi opened fire on the students during a protest on Tuesday, September 10, 2019.
Bisi Fayemi, whom the students accused of ordering the deaths, has already released the statement, denying complicity in the tragedy. According to Fayemi, she was not around when the students were killed.
Below is a clip shot during the protest, obtained from Twitter:
In a statement released on Wednesday, the governors wife said:
” Yesterday, September 10th 2019, there was a crisis at Oye town in Oye Local Government, Ekiti State, while I was on an empowerment and advocacy tour to engage with women across the State. The tour commenced on Monday September 9th, with visits to two local governments which were hugely successful and peaceful. On September 10th, we were billed to visit three local governments – Moba, Ilejemeje and Oye.”
According to Fayemi, half-way through the event, there was a disturbance outside. The FUOYE students (and possibly infiltrated by local thugs) had re-grouped and were trying to get into the venue.
” The security officers prevented this from happening. We finished our program, and by the time we got outside, we found that vehicles from my convoy and those of my guests that were parked outside the venue had been vandalised.
” As we were driving out of Oye town, we encountered at least two road blocks that the students had mounted to prevent the movement of vehicles. I could see students/thugs throwing stones and large sticks at us as we drove by.
” However, the casualties that were recorded did not take place while I was there. There are eye-witnesses, photographs and video footage to confirm this. There are reports circulating that the crisis occurred because I refused to address the protesting students.
” This is totally false. I did not encounter any group of students when I got to Oye town. They had dispersed before my arrival, and when they regrouped I was inside the venue.”
But many students of the university claimed Fayemi’ was in the convoy when the attack on the protesting students occured. A twitter user posted a video purportedly showing the governor’s wife’s convoy passing through the scene of the protest.
At least, four students lost their lives in the incident which last for hours, with many injured still lying in different hospitals within Oye town, Ekiti State.
The incident forced the university to proscribe the student union activities, shut down the school indefinitely, and ordered the students to vacate their halls of residence.
Meanwhile, the university Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Kayode Soremekun, has constituted a panel to unravel the circumstances leading to the Tuesday’s protest by students and the alleged attack on Bisi Fayemi.
The vice-chancellor said that the 12-man investigative panel headed by Prof. Abayomi Fasina, a Deputy Vice-Chancellor in the institution, would also suggest ways to prevent a recurrence.
See more tweets on the incidence: