Dino Melaye escapes from kidnappers: Family

0
295
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Reports emanating from family members of Senator Dino Melaye indicate that he has escaped from his alleged kidnappers and is now free.

Senator Ben Murray-Bruce had on his Twitter handle earlier on Thursday alleged that Melaye was abducted in the Abaji area of the Federal Capital Territory.

Murray-Bruce said he was told that the lawmaker was blocked by some gunmen on the Abuja-Lokoja highway.

He tweeted: “I have just been informed by Moses Melaye, Dino Melaye’s brother, that Dino has been abducted by unknown persons in a Toyota Sienna that blocked their car and overpowered them on their way to Kogi to answer to Dino’s court case. Let’s be on the watch out. Will keep you updated.”

Melaye’s telephone lines indicated that they had been switched off when several attempts were made to contact him by one of our correspondents. It was the same situation as of 8:20pm when this report was filed.

His Special Assistant on Media, Gideon Ayodele, also did not answer the several calls made to his telephone lines. He also did not reply a text message sent to him asking about the whereabouts of the lawmaker.

Punch reports that a Melaye’s family source, who spoke with one of its correspondents at about 8.30pm on Thursday, confirmed that the senator was free.

Another family source said, “He (Melaye) is getting better, as he managed to escape from his abductors.”

But when contacted on Thursday night, Melaye’s lawyer, Ozekhome, told one of our correspondents that he had only been in contact with the senator’s brother while he also expressed hope of positivity.

“I am in touch with his brother. I believe all will be well,” the senior lawyer said.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Police Force says it has not received any complaint or report in any of its divisions or stations throughout the Federal Capital Territory or any other state command about the kidnap of Melaye.

The police spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, a statement in Abuja, however, said they had commenced an investigation into the attack on the senator.

“The attention of the Police were drawn to the report of the purported kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye in some sections of the media. However, the Force has commenced an investigation into the purported kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye.

“We wish to implore any of his family members, relatives or friends who witnessed the kidnap or have information about the purported kidnap of the Senator to report the incident at the nearest police station to assist the police in the investigation.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: