SWITZERLAND, JULY 25 – International aid group, Action Against Hunger has called for the release of six aid workers kidnapped in Borno State and held by the Boko Haram aligned to the Islamic State group.
The Paris-based charity said a staff member, two drivers and three health workers for one of its projects were in a hostage video released by the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) group.
The video showed the female staff member, dressed in a bright blue hijab, sitting on the floor and addressing the camera in English, her five male colleagues behind her.
The six were seized during an ambush on their convoy close to the border with Niger last Thursday in an attack that left another driver dead.
The kidnapping is the latest to target aid workers in the conflict-hit region after the abduction and killing of two female workers for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) last year.
Action Against Hunger said in a statement it “demands the liberation of its staff member and her colleagues”.
“These are humanitarian workers who chose to devote their lives to helping the most vulnerable communities in Nigeria and they are only motivated by the values of solidarity, humanity and neutrality,” it added.
The footage of the abductees, authenticated by AFP on Thursday, was released through the same channel as previous videos from the IS-affiliated jihadists.
In the recent video, Grace, the kidnapped staff urged the Nigerian Government to save her and her colleague from the hands of Boko Harram.
Grace urged the Nigerian Government to save her from the hands of Boko Harram.— TYPICALNG.COM (@typicalngr) July 25, 2019
What will be the fate of GRACE?@ACF_UK#XpressUrStyle2#ThreeThieves#ThursdayMotivation #ThursdayThoughts pic.twitter.com/jiDG6ZNaul