SWITZERLAND, OCTOBER 17 –
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of six new aides to the First Lady of Federal Republic of Nigeria, Aisha Buhari.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by the Director of Information to the First Lady, Suleiman Haruna.
The appointments are coming amidst revelations of a simmering feud between Aisha Buhari and members of president Buhari’s family living in Aso Rock. In a recent interview, Fatima, daughter Buhari’s highly influential nephew, Mamman Daura spoke about a dramatic episode between her an the first lady.
The appointments also come days after the First Lady returned from a long holiday in the United Kingdom. According to her, although she had observed her 6 weeks long annual leave, she needed some extra time away to attend to her health.
The move is seen from different perspectives amongst Nigerians. While some see it as a means of pacifying an aggrieved first lady by the president, others see it as a way for the the cabal to monitor her by having their loyalists around her.
See the list of aides and their portfolios below.
1) Dr. Mairo Almakura – Special Assistant on African First Ladies Peace Mission (AFLPM)
2) Muhammed Albishir – Special Assistant on Organization of African First Ladies for Development (OAFLAD)
3) Wole Aboderin – Special Assistant on Non-Governmental Organizations
4) Barr. Aiyu Abdullahi – Special Assistant on Media and Publicity
5) Zainab Kazeem – Special Assistant on Domestic and Social Events
6) Funke Adesiyan – Personal Assistant on Domestic and Social Events