One Dead, 16 Injured as Multiple Blasts Rock Maiduguri

0
143
Reading Time: < 1 minute

SWITZERLAND, JULY 31 – Borno Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Aliyu, on Thursday confirmed the death of one person with 16 others injured following three explosions in Maiduguri metropolis.

Aliyu, who said the explosions occurred in Mairi, Custom and Gwange areas of the metropolis, added the actual cause of the explosions was yet to be ascertained.

He however said Police teams had been dispatched to the areas.

He said: “We have dispatched our Explosive Ordinance Detection (EOD) to investigate the incidents and to determine whether it was an Improvised Explossive Device (IED).

“Right now, I am at the Specialist Hospital where we have 16 casualties and one dead so far.”

Security personnel, comprising the Army, Police, Rapid Response Squad, Civilian Joint Tast Force (CJTF) and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) were deployed to restore normalcy.

But an eyewitness account said five died in the blasts believed to be propelled rocket launchers orchestrated by Boko Haram.

A CJTF member, Haruna Zanna, said the explosions may have been launched from the outskirts of the town, from Muna garage.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: