Birth control: Lady suffers untold complications from IUD

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Few months after delivery, a young lady who is soon to have her toes amputated, took to the social media to narrate the story of all she went through after using the Intrauterine Contraceptive Device, IUD, as birth control.

Her words “Sometimes things happen in your life and you don’t know why. You question yourself why me or what did i do to deserve this? But what you should be asking is what can i learn from it. I’m finally coming out to tell  my story because i feel i can help someone, i’m not here for people’s opinion but to simply tell my story. Six weeks after i had my daughter, i was offered by the doctors a form of birth control called the IUD. I accepted because i was told that it was safe and it was the best type.

It never gave me any problems up until November of 2017. I had it for three years so far. I was told  that it is good for 5 years. I went to my yearly check up in October and i was asked  about birth control and i told them i had IUD. They checked and told me that they couldn’t find an IUD and that it may have fallen out but i know for a fact that wasn’t the case. They sent me to get two types of ultrasounds the same day and i was told once again that they didn’t see an IUD.

One day in the beginning of November, i was at work, i had a sharp pain at the bottom right of my stomach and the first thing that popped in my mind was is this that IUD? but i tried to brush it off but the pain was getting worse. I left work 3 hours earlier to go to the hospital. I went to the hospital and was sent to get an X-ray done. The doctor came in with a weird look on her face and said that IUD is definitely in there but its pushed up in my stomach so i will have to get surgery. She told me to call my OBGYN to schedule a date. I went and talked to my OBGYN, told him everything that was going on and even showed him the X-ray. He also said i have to get surgery and they will cut me right under my belly button and use a scope.

December 13th i went in to get the procedure done. Instead of one, i was cut three times. One under my belly button and one of each on my sides. They were able to get it out but it was broken into pieces. I was told that it had moved up to my liver. When i left the hospital, i was bleeding but my mom was told that it was normal. Over night i began to bleed heavier and the pain got worse. I was rushed to the hospital with ambulance and once i got to the hospital, i was taken in for X-rays, and immediately to get another surgery. I was bleeding internally.

After the surgery they told my mom that when they opened me up, my ovaries were black and that they had to give me a hysterectomy. After the surgery, i went into septic shock causing me to be in ICU for few weeks. I died on that surgery table. While in ICU my organ began to fail, i was on a breathing machine, i was on dialysis because my kidneys weren’t working right. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. My parents were told that i was the worst patient on the floor and that they didn’t think i was going to make it.

But with faith and God the prayers that everyone sent out, i am here today. next week i have to get myself prepared again for a second surgery to get my toes amputated but i came so far, and i’m not letting anyone stop me.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: