SWITZERLAND, JUNE 14 – War in the middle east is becoming more likely as the United States blame Iran for the attack on two oil tankers blown up on Thursday in the Gulf of Oman.
This is amidst escalating tensions generated by a build up of American military in the area, with Iran accusing the US of planning an invasion.
Today’s Echo has monitored the trend of escalating tensions between the US and Iran, reporting last month that the U.S. had ordered all nonessential government staff to leave Iraq while Germany and the Netherlands both suspended their military assistance programs in the country in the latest sign of tensions sweeping the Persian Gulf region over still-unspecified threats that the Trump administration says are linked to Iran.
The U.S. government has alluded to risks of an attack by the Islamic Republic or its proxies in the region, and has been building up military assets in the region, sparking off fears that war is imminent. The U.S. in recent days has ordered the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier strike group to the Gulf region, plus four B-52 bombers.
According to the New York Times, the intelligence that caused the White House to escalate its warnings about a threat from Iran came from photographs of missiles on small boats in the Persian Gulf that were put on board by Iranian paramilitary forces, three American officials said.
Overhead imagery showed fully assembled missiles, stoking fears that the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps would fire them at United States naval ships. Additional pieces of intelligence picked up threats against commercial shipping and potential attacks by Arab militias with Iran ties on American troops in Iraq.
In a highly controversial move in May, President Donald Trump threatened to wipe out Iran if they go to war.
‘If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran.
Never threaten the United States again!’
His remarks came in the wake of a rocket attack less than a mile from the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad’s heavily fortified Green Zone, which appeared to have been carried out by Iran-backed Shiite militias, an Iraqi military spokesman said.