Nollywood: ‘Lionheart”s Submission for Oscars Sparks Rivalry with ‘King of Boys’

0
88
Reading Time: 1 minute

SWITZERLAND, OCTOBER 03: The submission of Geneveive Nnaji’s film Lionheart as Nigeria’s entry for the 2020 Oscars has generated a lot of heat in the country.

The news was broken by Nigeria Oscars Selection Committee, NOSC Chairman, Anyaene, while speaking on the entries received this year, said there is a significant improvement from last year.

“While we cannot say that what we have are the best that Nigeria is capable of producing, it is heart-lifting to know that, from the strength of the entries received this year, we are truly ready for the Oscars. Filmmakers are gradually taking the Oscar rules into consideration, and I have no doubt that it is going to be more competitive, going forward,” he said.

Genevieve Nnaji, who could not hide her joy, took to her Instagram page to react to the nomination and also appreciates her fans for their wonderful support.

“The Nigerian Oscar Selection Committee has chosen @lionheartthemovie to represent Nigeria for the 2020 Academy Award for Best International Film!

“This is the first entry ever for Nigeria. It’s an honour to be a part of such a pivotal moment in the history of Nigerian cinema.

“A moment we know will be replicated as our stories continue to resonate with audiences around the world,” the actress said.

Today’s Echo gathers that the development has also sparked an intense rivalry with Kemi Adetiba’s action parked thriller, ‘King of Boys’, which many believed should have been Nigeria’s submission for the Oscars.

Read some comments from Nigerians on Twitter below:

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: