UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, has said the attack which killed more than 44 migrants at a detention centre outside the Libyan capital could constitute a war crime
At least 130 people were injured in the attack, which the Libyan government blamed on an air strike by forces loyal to a warlord, General Khalifa Haftar.
Gen Haftar’s forces accuse the government side of shelling the centre.
Most of the dead are believed to be Africans held in detention after attempting to reach Europe on clandestine sea crossings from Libya.
Thousands of migrants are being held in government-run detention centres in Libya. The location of the centre attacked on Tuesday and the information that it housed civilians had been passed to all parties in Libya’s conflict, Michelle Bachelet, said.
“This attack may, depending on the precise circumstances, amount to a war crime,” she said. It was the second time the shelter was hit, she added.
UN Secretary General António Guterres said he was was “outraged” by the reports and called for an independent investigation “to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice”.