At Least 30 Dead as Hurricane Dorian Causes Widespread Devastation in Bahamas

0
96
Reading Time: 1 minute

SWITZERLAND, SEPTEMBER 6 -The death toll in the Bahamas has jumped to 30 and is expected to increase significantly following Hurricane Dorian’s devastating strike on the archipelago nation. 

A massive recovery effort is underway in the aftermath of a Category 5 storm this week that flipped cars, tore off roofs and stripped trees bare before ripping them from the sandy soil.

Meanwhile, horrific stories have emerged from Dorian’s terror. Adrian Farrington, 38, told the The Nassau Guardian, that his 5-year-old son, Adrian Farrington Jr., was swept away from a storm surge that hit their home on Aboco Island. 

The father, battling a fractured leg, said he had been treading water with his son, who had been clinging on for about an hour amid the rising water. He moved his son to the rooftop of their home, he said, after noticing some fins in the water that posed danger. 

Farrington said he told his son to stop crying, close his mouth and keep breathing. But before he could get on the roof to join his son, a gust from the hurricane dragged him back into the water. 

“I still could remember him reaching for me and calling me, ‘Daddy.’”

Prime Minister Hubert Minnis said the death toll was expected to rise as storm rescue workers scour islands.

The Bahamian government sent hundreds of police and marines into the stricken islands, along with doctors, nurses and other health care workers. The U.S. Coast Guard, Britain’s Royal Navy and relief organizations, including the United Nations and the Red Cross, joined the growing effort to rush food and medicine to survivors and lift the most desperate people to safety by helicopter.

“We are seeing bravery and fortitude of Bahamians who endured hours and days of horror,” Minnis said. “Our urgent task will be to provide food, water, shelter and safety and security.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: