Five victims have been identified in the deadly shooting that occured yesterday at a Maryland Newspaper outfit in the US. A gunman had attacked the Capital Gazette Newspaper on Thursday, killing five people.
Here’s how the victims of the shooting have been remembered by their friends and colleagues:
- Veteran 59-year-old editor Rob Hiassen was a “generous mentor” who always helped reporters make their work “more human”.
- Gerald Fischman, the 61-year-old page editor, had worked at the paper for over 25 years. He was the paper’s “conscience” with a “wicked pen”
- Wendi Winters, 65, started as a freelancer before becoming an editor, spending 12 years “writing her way into the newsroom”.
- John McNamara, a 55-year-old staff writer, was versatile, a jack of all trades, and a “fantastic person”.
- Rebecca Smith, 34, a sales assistant and the youngest employee killed, was remembered as “thoughtful and considerate” and always ready to help.
The suspect has been arrested and is being prepared for bail hearing,